Here’s our Business Policy Writing workflow, which uses Scrivener and other applications…
1. Create an outline and gather notes/research materials using Circus Ponies Notebook 3.0 (Very useful app to install in your MacBook Air!)
2. Export the outline into OPML (which Scrivener can use).
Note: Here’s Scrivener 2 for Mac OS X
Step #3. With a CP Notebook window open on the left side of the screen, fill in the Outline using Scrivener on the right side. Do not obsess over formatting, because the focus is on writing / re-arranging the sections.
4. Compile the Scrivener project as a .mobi ebook.
5. Transfer the .mobi ebook via to a Kindle for paperless proofreading. Save it in the “Books” folder.
6. Go back to Scrivener to make the necessary edits, based on the proofreading exercise.
7. Export Scrivener project as TEXT (.txt file)
8. Email the text file to those who need to review what you’ve written. The text file will contain mostly key Policy statements.
9. Follow-up regularly for comments. Use CP Notebook to keep track. For the smartphone, use apps such as Wunderlist.
10. Get comments over the next 7 banking days. If there are no comments, proceed to Step #12.
11. Incorporate reviewers’ comments into CP Notebook and the Scrivener project file, then return to Step #3.
Step #12. Export the Scrivener project to MS Word.
NOTE: Check out these Export from Scrivener to Word Tips
13. Copy/paste paragraphs to the MS Word document that follows the template for Business Policies. Or consider using a layout that’s easier to paste Scrivener-exported MS Word documents to.
14. Email the formatted MS Word document to the reviewers.
15. Get comments (over the next 3 banking days) regarding formatting, and adjust MS Word document. Go back to Step #14 if needed.
16. Print out the MS Word document and route for signatures.
17. Follow-up necessary groups for the Announcement/Distribution of the new Policy.
18. Get softcopy of signed policy from the custodian of the printed document.
19. Publish softcopy in webserver.
20. Insert in to-do app a reminder to review the Policy 10 months after it is published in the webserver.